Me maps, why gps? Here maps, good?

1 view

micky

Nov 8, 2016, 7:30:52 AM11/8/16

I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.

Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?

If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should turn it
on.

The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
themselves like google maps do.

I've also got Here maps, but it seems to be only about major cities, or
only about travelilng from one place to another, not just pure maps,
including rural areas. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Poutnik

Nov 8, 2016, 7:59:09 AM11/8/16
On 11/08/2016 01:30 PM, micky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.
>
> Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?
>
> If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should turn it
> on.

Driving directions are not the only purpose for GPS ON.

Many map applications often use various GPS aware features,
like displaying your location on the map, or recording your tracklog.

Some applications are fine with GPS OFF,
other may be stubborn, keeping asking you to turn it ON.

Typical use case can be the outdoor map during a hiking tour.

The best is asking at application specific internet resources.

Edmund

Nov 8, 2016, 8:27:47 AM11/8/16
Obviously you are missing something.
Android is the greatest spyware ever.
They want to know EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME from you and everybody else, if
you should read the things you HAVE TO ACCEPT before you click YES, you
should know that.
All apps want access to everything although it is none of their busyness.

Edmund

Bert

Nov 8, 2016, 9:49:28 AM11/8/16
In news:04h32cllggoa3cssu...@4ax.com micky
<NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
> themselves like google maps do.

What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?

--
be...@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

Piet

Nov 8, 2016, 10:16:27 AM11/8/16
Edmund wrote:
> micky wrote:
>> I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.
>> Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?
>> If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should
>> turn it on.
>
> Obviously you are missing something.
> Android is the greatest spyware ever.

Obviously you are missing something.
Maps on *any* smartphone are primarily meant for navigation.

-p

Edmund

Nov 8, 2016, 11:05:37 AM11/8/16
That doesn't take away anything I said. It merely shows that you too did
not ever read anything about the requirements you agreed for the apps you
installed.

Edmund

The Real Bev

Nov 8, 2016, 11:10:58 AM11/8/16
On 11/08/2016 06:48 AM, Bert wrote:
> In news:04h32cllggoa3cssu...@4ax.com micky
> <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
>> themselves like google maps do.
>
> What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?

The [USELESS because they cover such a small area] downloaded maps don't
threaten, they just disappear after 30 days. Or maybe they do threaten,
I've never kept one long enough to find out.

--
Cheers, Bev
His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity.

nospam

Nov 8, 2016, 11:21:31 AM11/8/16
In article <nvstdj$h0e$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
> >> themselves like google maps do.
> >
> > What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?
>
> The [USELESS because they cover such a small area] downloaded maps don't
> threaten, they just disappear after 30 days. Or maybe they do threaten,
> I've never kept one long enough to find out.

where 'small area' is about a 1 hour drive radius. in other words, huge.

plus, new map tiles are downloaded as needed so it doesn't actually
matter.

Piet

Nov 8, 2016, 4:40:53 PM11/8/16
Edmund wrote:
> Piet wrote:
>> Edmund wrote:
>>>
>>> Obviously you are missing something. Android is the greatest spyware
>>> ever.
>>
>> Obviously you are missing something.
>> Maps on *any* smartphone are primarily meant for navigation.
>
> That doesn't take away anything I said. It merely shows that you
> too did not ever read anything about the requirements you agreed
> for the apps you installed.

You clearly show you don't have the faintest idea what you're
talking about. Sleep well.

-p

Bob Martin

Nov 9, 2016, 2:29:04 AM11/9/16
in 35924 20161108 161056 The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 11/08/2016 06:48 AM, Bert wrote:
>> In news:04h32cllggoa3cssu...@4ax.com micky
>> <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
>>> themselves like google maps do.
>>
>> What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?
>
>The [USELESS because they cover such a small area] downloaded maps don't
>threaten, they just disappear after 30 days. Or maybe they do threaten,
>I've never kept one long enough to find out.

I got a pop-up message last week to say that my downloaded maps would be
deleted unless I took action to prevent it.
Makes sense, space isn't unlimited.

Arno Welzel

Nov 9, 2016, 3:06:27 AM11/9/16
Edmund schrieb:

> On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 07:30:40 -0500, micky wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.
>>
>> Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?
>>
>> If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should turn it
>> on.
>>
>> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
>> themselves like google maps do.
>>
>> I've also got Here maps, but it seems to be only about major cities, or
>> only about travelilng from one place to another, not just pure maps,
>> including rural areas. Am I missing something?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Obviously you are missing something.
> Android is the greatest spyware ever.

Then don't use it.

> They want to know EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME from you and everybody else, if
> you should read the things you HAVE TO ACCEPT before you click YES, you
> should know that.

If you really believe this - then don't use Android at all, since all
the system apps of the manufacturer don't even ask - they are already
installed and running!

> All apps want access to everything although it is none of their busyness.

And why should "GPS" not be the business of a application which is used
to check the location on a map?

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Arno Welzel

Nov 9, 2016, 3:08:09 AM11/9/16
The Real Bev schrieb:

> On 11/08/2016 06:48 AM, Bert wrote:
>> In news:04h32cllggoa3cssu...@4ax.com micky
>> <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
>>> themselves like google maps do.
>>
>> What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?
>
> The [USELESS because they cover such a small area] downloaded maps don't
> threaten, they just disappear after 30 days. Or maybe they do threaten,
> I've never kept one long enough to find out.

The don't "just disappear", they need to be refreshed after 30 days.

And if you want offline maps, you should give OSMAnd+ a try as well -
OpenSource and you can keep old maps as long as you want, even if they
are several years old and outdated.

Arno Welzel

Nov 9, 2016, 3:47:54 AM11/9/16
micky schrieb:

> I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.
>
> Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?

No, the purpose is to get the location.

> If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should turn it
> on.

Yes - to see where you are.

tlvp

Nov 9, 2016, 3:51:26 AM11/9/16
On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 11:21:30 -0500, nospam wrote:

> where 'small area' is about a 1 hour drive radius. in other words, huge.

Not so huge if you're hoping for all the ports on Norway's coastline :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Piet

Nov 9, 2016, 5:09:16 AM11/9/16
Arno Welzel wrote:
> The Real Bev write:
>> Bert wrote:
>>>
>>> What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?
>>
>> The [USELESS because they cover such a small area] downloaded maps don't
>> threaten, they just disappear after 30 days. Or maybe they do threaten,
>> I've never kept one long enough to find out.
>
> The don't "just disappear", they need to be refreshed after 30 days.

Right: they expire, which means they'll no longer be used, but
doesn't necessarily imply they're removed from your device.

But "USELESS because they cover such a small area" is a matter
of perception and need. Just one offline map covers virtually
all of my country.

> And if you want offline maps, you should give OSMAnd+ a try as well -
> OpenSource and you can keep old maps as long as you want, even if
> they are several years old and outdated.

Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
for free on a 'download once' basis.

-p

Poutnik

Nov 9, 2016, 5:20:30 AM11/9/16
On 11/09/2016 11:09 AM, Piet wrote:
> Arno Welzel wrote:

>> And if you want offline maps, you should give OSMAnd+ a try as well -
>> OpenSource and you can keep old maps as long as you want, even if
>> they are several years old and outdated.
>
> Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
> stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
> for free on a 'download once' basis.

Still far more than Google maps.

For most scenarios are worldwide OSM vector maps
for OSMAnd or LocusMaps enough.

Varios raster maps, some of them based on OSM as well,
as available for download for them as well.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 9, 2016, 5:56:08 AM11/9/16
On 2016-11-09 08:29, Bob Martin wrote:

> I got a pop-up message last week to say that my downloaded maps would be
> deleted unless I took action to prevent it.
> Makes sense, space isn't unlimited.

It is explained in the help for the feature.

A zone will disapear unless updated. The idea is that the zone will have
changed too much in a month.

There is also a setting to automatically update downloaded maps, and
another setting to do it only via WiFi. What I have not clear is if it
will try to fetch data for the subzone actually displayed via data
network even if locally stored, if it has changed. If not, the feature
is not useful if you have a data plan.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 9, 2016, 6:00:06 AM11/9/16
On 2016-11-09 11:09, Piet wrote:

>> And if you want offline maps, you should give OSMAnd+ a try as well -
>> OpenSource and you can keep old maps as long as you want, even if
>> they are several years old and outdated.

And doesn't insist on having GPS active.

> Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
> stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
> for free on a 'download once' basis.

Still, I can download my entire country. You can remove the app, install
it again, and download the maps again, as a method of updating. Of
course, you loose all settings and configs.

For car navigation, I think google gives better instructions than
OsmAnd, and in my case, I have a payware TomTom device.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

David Taylor

Nov 9, 2016, 6:03:55 AM11/9/16
On 09/11/2016 08:51, tlvp wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 11:21:30 -0500, nospam wrote:
>
>> where 'small area' is about a 1 hour drive radius. in other words, huge.
>
> Not so huge if you're hoping for all the ports on Norway's coastline :-) .
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp

Sounds like a good trip! It was taking my GPS on a Coastal Voyage trip
and plotting the results afterwards that I found that the location of
(IIRC) Trondheim was incorrectly quoted on many Web sites, which had
obviously all copied from each other....

--
Cheers,
David

David Taylor

Nov 9, 2016, 6:05:52 AM11/9/16
On 09/11/2016 10:09, Piet wrote:
[]
> Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
> stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
> for free on a 'download once' basis.
>
> -p

Been using Maps.Me for a long time. Very pleased with it and its maps -
most useful for offline work, they don't get deleted, and are regularly
updated. And it's free.

Poutnik

Nov 9, 2016, 7:18:38 AM11/9/16
On 11/09/2016 11:58 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> For car navigation, I think google gives better instructions than
> OsmAnd, and in my case, I have a payware TomTom device.

One can use also free MapsFactor navigator.

Edmund

Nov 9, 2016, 10:34:04 AM11/9/16
On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 09:06:23 +0100, Arno Welzel wrote:

> Edmund schrieb:
>
>> On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 07:30:40 -0500, micky wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.
>>>
>>> Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?
>>>
>>> If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should turn
>>> it on.
>>>
>>> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
>>> themselves like google maps do.
>>>
>>> I've also got Here maps, but it seems to be only about major cities,
>>> or only about travelilng from one place to another, not just pure
>>> maps, including rural areas. Am I missing something?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Obviously you are missing something.
>> Android is the greatest spyware ever.
>
> Then don't use it.

I was not aware of this before I bought an android device.
Unfortunately, we have very little choice when it comes to a cell phone
but I certainly will check if there is an alternative that meet my wishes
when I buy a new one.

>> They want to know EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME from you and everybody else,
>> if you should read the things you HAVE TO ACCEPT before you click YES,
>> you should know that.
>
> If you really believe this -

Believe?? read it for yourself!

> then don't use Android at all, since all
> the system apps of the manufacturer don't even ask - they are already
> installed and running!

I am talking about the app in the whats its name play store?

>> All apps want access to everything although it is none of their
>> busyness.
>
> And why should "GPS" not be the business of a application which is used
> to check the location on a map?

I did not say that so don't make things up for yourself and then disagree
with it.

The OP mentioned that an app is nagging him to put his GPS ON while he
did not want to use it. That one thing, another is that most if not all
apps require access to your contacts for no obvious reason.

Edmund

Bert

Nov 9, 2016, 1:19:02 PM11/9/16
In news:nvstdj$h0e$1...@dont-email.me The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11/08/2016 06:48 AM, Bert wrote:
>> In news:04h32cllggoa3cssu...@4ax.com micky
>> <NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The maps seem to display fine, and btw they don't threaten to delete
>>> themselves like google maps do.
>>
>> What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?
>
> The [USELESS because they cover such a small area] downloaded maps
> don't threaten, they just disappear after 30 days. Or maybe they do
> threaten, I've never kept one long enough to find out.

They'll be deleted if you don't refresh them when suggested.

As to being too small, that's a personal problem. I save map coverage
for all of Sanibel and Captiva Islands whenever we're down there so I
don't have to worry about losing cell coverage.

Bob Martin

Nov 10, 2016, 2:57:33 AM11/10/16
Then he shouldn't run apps that need GPS. Obvious, isn't it.
Some apps, eg Twitter, ask if they can use your location, but you can decline.

>That one thing, another is that most if not all
>apps require access to your contacts for no obvious reason.

Same again.
If you don't set up a google account on the phone and don't install
any apps then you won't have a problem. It's just a phone.
What are you scared of?

Edmund

Nov 10, 2016, 4:57:14 AM11/10/16
Are you serious? those apps keep on nagging for access to everything over
and over again, even if you have chosen a million time "NO" the next time
it is nagging again. And I can assure you many of accidentally press the
wrong button.

>>That one thing, another is that most if not all apps require access to
>>your contacts for no obvious reason.
>
> Same again.
> If you don't set up a google account on the phone and don't install any
> apps then you won't have a problem. It's just a phone.
> What are you scared of?

First of all I didn't buy a Smart phone to disable all possibilities.
Second, don't make things up I never said I was afraid, I just hate this
gross violation of our privacy
Then my phone is packed with grapware that I didn't ask for, I don't want
and I don't use, still I CANNOT remove it! Google/Samsung decide what is
best for US on our phones. So they occupy half of MY PHONES memory that I
cannot use for apps I DO want.
So I never ever will buy anything from Samsung again and my next phone
will be an apple or Windows phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70p_VjsiIdk

Edmund

Bob Martin

Nov 10, 2016, 1:27:48 PM11/10/16
I've used every version of Android from 2 up to 7.1.1 with over 100 apps
and I've never had that problem.

>>>That one thing, another is that most if not all apps require access to
>>>your contacts for no obvious reason.
>>
>> Same again.
>> If you don't set up a google account on the phone and don't install any
>> apps then you won't have a problem. It's just a phone.
>> What are you scared of?
>
>First of all I didn't buy a Smart phone to disable all possibilities.
>Second, don't make things up I never said I was afraid, I just hate this
>gross violation of our privacy
>Then my phone is packed with grapware that I didn't ask for, I don't want
>and I don't use, still I CANNOT remove it! Google/Samsung decide what is
>best for US on our phones. So they occupy half of MY PHONES memory that I
>cannot use for apps I DO want.
>So I never ever will buy anything from Samsung again and my next phone
>will be an apple or Windows phone.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70p_VjsiIdk

Install TWRP and Cyanogenmod and you will be in total control.

Edmund

Nov 10, 2016, 1:51:24 PM11/10/16
I have about three apps and my GPS is asking me every time I use it if I
want to share my location even though I selected NO about 10.000 times
now.

>>> Same again.
>>> If you don't set up a google account on the phone and don't install
>>> any apps then you won't have a problem. It's just a phone.
>>> What are you scared of?
>>
>>First of all I didn't buy a Smart phone to disable all possibilities.
>>Second, don't make things up I never said I was afraid, I just hate this
>>gross violation of our privacy Then my phone is packed with grapware
>>that I didn't ask for, I don't want and I don't use, still I CANNOT
>>remove it! Google/Samsung decide what is best for US on our phones. So
>>they occupy half of MY PHONES memory that I cannot use for apps I DO
>>want.
>>So I never ever will buy anything from Samsung again and my next phone
>>will be an apple or Windows phone.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70p_VjsiIdk
>
> Install TWRP and Cyanogenmod and you will be in total control.

Any specific suggestion for a Samsung Kzoom C115 ?

Edmund

Poutnik

Nov 10, 2016, 2:03:07 PM11/10/16
On 11/10/2016 07:50 PM, Edmund wrote:

> I have about three apps and my GPS is asking me every time I use it if I
> want to share my location even though I selected NO about 10.000 times
> now.

Hm, it is quite funny.

As I use several GPS aware applications as well,
and none of them asks me about sharing the location.

If I want to share, I explicitly do so,
or I set it to do so automatically on purpose.

E.g. OSMAnd and LocusMap can guide you toward dynamic destination,
what can sometimes be useful,
if 2 groups are going to meet each other in city,
or in challenging terrain.

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 2:35:54 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 10 Nov 2016 18:50:53 -0000 (UTC), Edmund
<nom...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have about three apps and my GPS is asking me every time I use it if I
>want to share my location even though I selected NO about 10.000 times
>now.

I've only said No 2 or 3 times, but I only use the phone about twice a
month.

What gets me is that programs, or more likely I mean webpages, on my
home computer ask if I want to "share" my location. These are not
webpages trying to find me the closest store that sells something. They
are pages that have nothing to do with my location, afaict. I don't
know who they want me to share it with or why, but I'm comfortable
enough the PC to just say no.

>> Install TWRP and Cyanogenmod and you will be in total control.

I will look into these. (My girlfriend won't like it, though. She
says she's in total control.)

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 2:41:29 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 8 Nov 2016 13:59:08 +0100, Poutnik
<poutni...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 11/08/2016 01:30 PM, micky wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.
>>
>> Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?
>>
>> If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should turn it
>> on.
>
>Driving directions are not the only purpose for GPS ON.
>
>Many map applications often use various GPS aware features,
>like displaying your location on the map, or recording your tracklog.

Oh, yeah. I hadn't thought of that.

I generally don't need that. For one thing, my location not even on the
map that I'm looking at, and when it is, 99% of the time know where I
am. I think I've only been totally mixed up 3 times in all these
years. And I don't report to anyone so I don't think anyone else
wants my tracklog, and I'll never look at it.

But, I'll remember and turn the GPS on if I ever do want to know where I
am.

>Some applications are fine with GPS OFF,
>other may be stubborn, keeping asking you to turn it ON.

I'll see.

>Typical use case can be the outdoor map during a hiking tour.

Too fat for hiking, but lost 20 pounds. Only another 95 to go, to be at
my high school weight. But 60 and I'll be ready to hike again.

>The best is asking at application specific internet resources.

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 2:43:55 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:03:06 +0100, Poutnik
<poutni...@gmail.com> wrote:

>E.g. OSMAnd and LocusMap can guide you toward dynamic destination,
>what can sometimes be useful,
>if 2 groups are going to meet each other in city,
>or in challenging terrain.

That's impressive.

Someone picked me up yesterday, in a car, and I felt obliged to call
again when I moved to a location she had to pass to get where I had
been. I thought she still might drive right by us.

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 2:45:11 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:03:54 +0000, David Taylor
<david-...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Sounds like a good trip! It was taking my GPS on a Coastal Voyage trip
>and plotting the results afterwards that I found that the location of
>(IIRC) Trondheim was incorrectly quoted on many Web sites, which had
>obviously all copied from each other....

What happened when you got to Trondheim and there was nothing there?

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 3:01:56 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 09 Nov 2016 07:29:03 GMT, Bob Martin
<bob.m...@excite.com> wrote:

>in 35924 20161108 161056 The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 11/08/2016 06:48 AM, Bert wrote:

>>> What? When and what has googlemaps threatened to delete?

When I first got the individual maps, I think it was, it said it was
good for nn days. It didnt' even say they could be updated (and thus
retained longer). I think that showed up only after I got some map data.

>>The [USELESS because they cover such a small area] downloaded maps don't
>>threaten, they just disappear after 30 days. Or maybe they do threaten,
>>I've never kept one long enough to find out.

It's not that the map area is so small, but that the part of the map
that shows on a phone screen is so small**, and if one backs out
farther, then many things are no longer shown. As opposed to a paper
map where one can zoom in and out without losing any detail.

Yesterday I was in a new car with built in maps and the screen was a lot
bigger than a phone, but it still didn't cover enough area to appreciate

**Moving left and right, up and down, helps some, but I don't know.

However if i'm somewhere where a map is not available, it's better than
nothing.

>I got a pop-up message last week to say that my downloaded maps would be
>deleted unless I took action to prevent it.
>Makes sense, space isn't unlimited.

But that isn't the reason. They don't check or care how much empty
space you have.

I don't know what the reason is. That the map has changed in 30 days
is ridiculous, for 90% of the world, and if there are small changes,
I'll deal with them when I get there. Maybe it's the advertising?
Maybe they promise advertisers that everyone will see their ad within 30
days? Do you think that's it?

I did "update" some maps, and I thought that meant it would just note
that I'd been around and extend the map for 30 more days, but instead it
dl'd a whole new map. Near Berryville Virginia where nothing had
changed in years, decades for the most part, except a little new housing
that I don't care if it's on the map or not.

What would work to see enough at one time is printing out the maps, so
one could have a bigger area, make notes etc. But the small roads on
Google maps are almost invisible on paper, when printed from a PC. And
for that matter, while viewing on a smart phone also. Google has a
discussion board where several people have complained, but I don't know
if anyone from Google reads it. Maybe it's just there for us to blow
off steam.

I did complain a year or two ago on the PC new Google maps that there
were so many boxes I couldn't see the map, and I got what sure seemed
like a personalized answer that they'd fixed, and indded they had, but
the same complaint forum isnt' there anymore like when the new google
maps were new. I used, had to use I think, my gmail address to
complain, and I didn't read my gmail until a year after I complained!

BTW, the old google maps for the PC can be found under another name.
One big advantage is that you can turn off labels and that includes the
gray line that traces all the streets. Some times the grey line makes
it impossible to see where the street

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 3:07:07 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:05:51 +0000, David Taylor
<david-...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>On 09/11/2016 10:09, Piet wrote:
>[]
>> Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
>> stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
>> for free on a 'download once' basis.
>>
>> -p
>
>Been using Maps.Me for a long time. Very pleased with it and its maps -
>most useful for offline work, they don't get deleted, and are regularly
>updated. And it's free.

Yes, I've used that and it's legible and I like it. (on my phone but
used it sitting at my desk at home, but still)

BTW, if I didn't say it to people who answered me directly, thanks.

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 3:08:38 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:09:13 +0100, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

re: google maps

>> The don't "just disappear", they need to be refreshed after 30 days.
>
>Right: they expire, which means they'll no longer be used, but
>doesn't necessarily imply they're removed from your device.

That would be even worse, if they can't be used but the space isn't
freed up. Surely they don't do that.

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 3:12:34 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 9 Nov 2016 09:47:49 +0100, Arno Welzel
<use...@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

>micky schrieb:
>
>> I have Me maps and it keeps asking me to turn on my GPS location.

In another post I just now said I liked ME maps. Forgot it was the one
I'd just complained about. But it's because I like it that it was
worth asking about.

>> Is the purpose of this to give me driving directions?
>
>No, the purpose is to get the location.
>
>> If I don't want driving directions, is there any reason I should turn it
>> on.
>
>Yes - to see where you are.

I'm right here. I'm the one who's waving. First row.

Oh well.

Thanks. It may happen some day that I don't know where I am, and I'll
turn on the GPS then.

By coincidence, I just reinstalled my rear view mirror with a compass
and this time I made the compass work. That should help.

Happy Oyster

Nov 10, 2016, 6:53:25 PM11/10/16
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 07:57:32 GMT, Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com>
wrote:

>If you don't set up a google account on the phone and don't install
>any apps then you won't have a problem. It's just a phone.
>What are you scared of?

Some providers, like one.com force you to give your MOBILE phone number.
The land-line phone number does not suffice. You can not get web-space
there without having a mobile phone. And they want its number.

--
Homöopathie ist nichts als Hütchenspielerbetrug und organisierte Kriminalität
http://ariplex.com/folia/archives/565.htm http://ariplex.com/folia/archives/570.htm

micky

Nov 10, 2016, 7:57:41 PM11/10/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 03:53:24 +0400, Happy Oyster
<-*-*.@.*-*-> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 07:57:32 GMT, Bob Martin <bob.m...@excite.com>
>wrote:
>
>>If you don't set up a google account on the phone and don't install
>>any apps then you won't have a problem. It's just a phone.
>>What are you scared of?
>
>Some providers, like one.com force you to give your MOBILE phone number.
>The land-line phone number does not suffice. You can not get web-space
>there without having a mobile phone. And they want its number.

Do you have to tell the truth?

Happy Oyster

Nov 10, 2016, 9:00:26 PM11/10/16
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 19:57:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:
You will get some things, like passwords only that way. Googlemail (or
some other idiot), so the last thing I remember, wants it that way.

I consider their "business model" as racism. Why force people into using
cell phones? They only want to track people. That is Nazi dreck of the
worst kind.

tlvp

Nov 11, 2016, 3:40:08 AM11/11/16
On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:03:54 +0000, David Taylor wrote:

> Sounds like a good trip!

Yup. Hurtigruten :-) .

> ... It was taking my GPS on a Coastal Voyage trip
> and plotting the results afterwards that I found that the location of
> (IIRC) Trondheim was incorrectly quoted on many Web sites, which had
> obviously all copied from each other....

You too, I gather :-) . Become a Polar Bear in Hammerfest? Cheers, -- tlvp

tlvp

Nov 11, 2016, 3:46:57 AM11/11/16
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:01:54 -0500, micky wrote:

> Google has a
> discussion board where several people have complained, but I don't know
> if anyone from Google reads it. Maybe it's just there for us to blow
> off steam.

Hawaiians have for years complained about the Google Map voice
mispronouncing Hawaiian place names (Kihei coming out as "kigh-high"
instead of "kee-hey", U'unene coming out as "un-een" instead of
"oo-oo-neh-neh", etc.), to no avail. What to do? Cheers, -- tlvp

David Taylor

Nov 11, 2016, 5:13:03 AM11/11/16
Trondheim /was/ there for us, just not for the folks who relied on the
incorrect Web sites!

David Taylor

Nov 11, 2016, 5:25:26 AM11/11/16
On 11/11/2016 08:40, tlvp wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:03:54 +0000, David Taylor wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a good trip!
>
> Yup. Hurtigruten :-) .
>
>> ... It was taking my GPS on a Coastal Voyage trip
>> and plotting the results afterwards that I found that the location of
>> (IIRC) Trondheim was incorrectly quoted on many Web sites, which had
>> obviously all copied from each other....
>
> You too, I gather :-) . Become a Polar Bear in Hammerfest? Cheers, -- tlvp

That's a great voyage! Done several trips with them including a winter
voyage to northern Norway with lots of snow and aurora, Faroe Islands,
Iceland, UK, Svalbard, and Antarctica. My wife did the polar bear thing
ages ago, I just took photos. MS Fram is my favourite ship.

Chris

Nov 11, 2016, 1:27:29 PM11/11/16
IPhones also come with apps you can't remove. In iOS 10 you can hide the
icons, but the app is still on the phone.

Microsoft is abandoning winphone (again).

nospam

Nov 11, 2016, 1:31:06 PM11/11/16
In article <o052hi$7i3$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Then my phone is packed with grapware that I didn't ask for, I don't want
> > and I don't use, still I CANNOT remove it! Google/Samsung decide what is
> > best for US on our phones. So they occupy half of MY PHONES memory that I
> > cannot use for apps I DO want.
> > So I never ever will buy anything from Samsung again and my next phone
> > will be an apple or Windows phone.
>
> IPhones also come with apps you can't remove.

nowhere near as much as what samsung installs.

> In iOS 10 you can hide the
> icons, but the app is still on the phone.

deleting/reinstalling would compromise security and they're tiny so it
doesn't actually matter.

Happy Oyster

Nov 11, 2016, 7:09:42 PM11/11/16
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 03:46:57 -0500, tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net>
wrote:
English, and American in special, are incredibly dumb languages with
respect to pronounciation. The same is true for French.

micky

Nov 12, 2016, 12:35:35 AM11/12/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 03:46:57 -0500, tlvp
I haven't used google map voice, but when I play pronunciation from
other web sources, I can never hear it well enough to know how it's
pronounced. I hear pretty well otherwise, but it's always blurred.

I read that Barbara Streisand got someone who owns one of these things,
and is a friend of hers, to change the pronunciation of Streisand. I
forget which one is right but one is sand and the other zand. I think
it had been wrong for years before she finally asked him.

So maybe the Hawaiians and I need to make friends with Barbara.

micky

Nov 12, 2016, 12:51:39 AM11/12/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 06:00:25 +0400, Happy Oyster
<-*-*.@.*-*-> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 19:57:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 03:53:24 +0400, Happy Oyster
>><-*-*.@.*-*-> wrote:

>>>Some providers, like one.com force you to give your MOBILE phone number.
>>>The land-line phone number does not suffice. You can not get web-space
>>>there without having a mobile phone. And they want its number.
>>
>>Do you have to tell the truth?
>
>You will get some things, like passwords only that way. Googlemail (or
>some other idiot), so the last thing I remember, wants it that way.
>
>I consider their "business model" as racism. Why force people into using
>cell phones? They only want to track people. That is Nazi dreck of the
>worst kind.

I can certainly see why this could help to implement fascism, but why
would that be racism? Of course the nazis were racist** to the extreme,
but there have been other fascists who weren't, I think. Even the
Mussolini and the Itallians were only so much as they had to cooperate
with the Germans, aiui, and presumably woudln't have been if they hadn't
allied themselves with them for other reasons. Even if I'm wrong about
Italy, I don't see how their business model can be racism when race is
not the basis and it's applied to everyone and before they've done
anything racist. Have they?

**I'm using racism in the broadest manner, as in 9. any group,
class, or kind, especially of persons: Journalists are an interesting
race. Other dictionaries use other examples, like
shoe-makers.

Although Random House includes also
4. a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic lineage:
the Slavic race.
5. any people united by common history, language, cultural traits,
etc.: the Dutch race.

I'm told that just about all USA and maybe British dictionaries are
descriptive, reporting how words are used, not proscriptive, saying how
they should be used. (Although some words like ain't are marked
nonstandard. Maybe that's because the entire word is criticized, not
just one usage.)

The Real Bev

Nov 12, 2016, 1:27:06 AM11/12/16
On 11/11/2016 04:09 PM, Happy Oyster wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 03:46:57 -0500, tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:01:54 -0500, micky wrote:
>>
>>> Google has a
>>> discussion board where several people have complained, but I don't know
>>> if anyone from Google reads it. Maybe it's just there for us to blow
>>> off steam.
>>
>>Hawaiians have for years complained about the Google Map voice
>>mispronouncing Hawaiian place names (Kihei coming out as "kigh-high"
>>instead of "kee-hey", U'unene coming out as "un-een" instead of
>>"oo-oo-neh-neh", etc.), to no avail. What to do? Cheers, -- tlvp
>
> English, and American in special, are incredibly dumb languages with
> respect to pronounciation. The same is true for French.

Garmin doesn't recognize that some words are Spanish. Or English, for
that matter :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
You need only three tools: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't

tlvp

Nov 12, 2016, 4:03:53 AM11/12/16
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:25:25 +0000, David Taylor wrote of ...:

> ... a winter
> voyage to northern Norway with lots of snow and aurora, Faroe Islands,
> Iceland, UK, Svalbard, and Antarctica.

Must have taken a quite while to get to Antarctica on that voyage if it was
still winter by the time you got there, eh :) ? Or did you mean the Arctic?

Edmund

Nov 12, 2016, 4:22:18 AM11/12/16
Thanks for the info.
That leaves us with not much of a choice but I am done with google and
Samsung for the rest of my life.

Edmund

David Taylor

Nov 12, 2016, 5:34:11 AM11/12/16
On 12/11/2016 09:03, tlvp wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:25:25 +0000, David Taylor wrote of ...:
>
>> ... a winter
>> voyage to northern Norway with lots of snow and aurora, Faroe Islands,
>> Iceland, UK, Svalbard, and Antarctica.
>
> Must have taken a quite while to get to Antarctica on that voyage if it was
> still winter by the time you got there, eh :) ? Or did you mean the Arctic?
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp

Several separate trips. Would go back to any of the destinations any time!

Carlos E.R.

Nov 12, 2016, 4:36:06 PM11/12/16
On 2016-11-10 20:35, micky wrote:

> What gets me is that programs, or more likely I mean webpages, on my
> home computer ask if I want to "share" my location. These are not
> webpages trying to find me the closest store that sells something. They
> are pages that have nothing to do with my location, afaict. I don't
> know who they want me to share it with or why, but I'm comfortable
> enough the PC to just say no.

It is, I think, for the commercials on the page. They get customized for
your location. If you say no, they can simply use geolocation on your
IP, which you can not refuse. You can use a proxy and fool them.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 12, 2016, 4:56:10 PM11/12/16
On 2016-11-10 10:56, Edmund wrote:

> First of all I didn't buy a Smart phone to disable all possibilities.
> Second, don't make things up I never said I was afraid, I just hate this
> gross violation of our privacy
> Then my phone is packed with grapware that I didn't ask for, I don't want
> and I don't use, still I CANNOT remove it! Google/Samsung decide what is
> best for US on our phones. So they occupy half of MY PHONES memory that I
> cannot use for apps I DO want.
> So I never ever will buy anything from Samsung again and my next phone
> will be an apple or Windows phone.

Try Motorola. I have one, and it has much less apps preloaded than my
previous Samsung phone.

On Android 6 you can disable an application from ever running. I just
did that to Facebook on a tablet. Of course, this does not remove the
application from the flash memory, but it saves ram and nuisances.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Happy Oyster

Nov 12, 2016, 7:10:12 PM11/12/16
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:51:38 -0500, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 06:00:25 +0400, Happy Oyster
><-*-*.@.*-*-> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 19:57:40 -0500, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Do you have to tell the truth?
>>
>>You will get some things, like passwords only that way. Googlemail (or
>>some other idiot), so the last thing I remember, wants it that way.
>>
>>I consider their "business model" as racism. Why force people into using
>>cell phones? They only want to track people. That is Nazi dreck of the
>>worst kind.
>
>I can certainly see why this could help to implement fascism, but why
>would that be racism?

Because they force a 2-class society, of the haves and the have-nots.

The important detail to realize: They did NOT accept a land-line phone
as sufficient. One could enter a land-line phone number in the forms,
but one only is accepted if one enters a MOBILE phone number.

A land-line phone OR a mobile phone number, THAT would make sense. But
to force people into using cell-phone is racism.

micky

Nov 12, 2016, 7:40:40 PM11/12/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 13 Nov 2016 04:10:12 +0400, Happy Oyster
Sounds like classism to me. Well, at least that would be the almost
commonly used word. A more accurate** word would be moneyism.

>The important detail to realize: They did NOT accept a land-line phone
>as sufficient. One could enter a land-line phone number in the forms,
>but one only is accepted if one enters a MOBILE phone number.
>
>A land-line phone OR a mobile phone number, THAT would make sense. But
>to force people into using cell-phone is racism.

Well, the broad meaning of race that you snipped, such as the race of
journalists or cobblers is probably broad enough to include the race of
people with little money and the race of people with money enough for
two phones. but I've never seen it before and it's another stretch
beyond cobblers which is quite a stretch in itself.

More important, it's just darn confusing because eveyyone I know thinks
racism refers to making unwarranted distinctions based on skin color and
facial features. Since you had specified enough details about having to
give two phone numbers, it was clear you didn't mean that, but if you
use your same definition when you haven't specified details, no one will
know what you mean, and everyone will think you mean what's in my first
sentence of this paragraph.

**Classism is the word that many use when they are talking about how
much money or income people have. They say middle class when they
really mean middle income, and I guess that implies they think people
with low incomes are low class. I don't think either is correct.

For me, middle class means acting as part of society, fulfilling ones
responsibilities and even going further. Mowing one's lawn, not
throwing littler on the street, calling the police when you see an
accident or crime, etc. Low class is failure to do those things. And
upper class I'm not sure of, maybe living up to the requirements of
noblesse oblige, The only ones I can think of are giving large amounts
of money and time to good works.

I know a lot of low income people who are middle class. And of course
Trump is high income but low class.

micky

Nov 12, 2016, 7:42:07 PM11/12/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 12 Nov 2016 22:53:00 +0100, "Carlos
I've seen that screen. Does it stop the app from updating?

micky

Nov 12, 2016, 7:45:52 PM11/12/16
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 12 Nov 2016 22:34:26 +0100, "Carlos
Oh yeah, that makes sense.

I've seen what, 5 million commercials in my life and I still don't think
of them.

Actually if they're going to show ads, it's probably better if they are
for things I could actually buy. My chief problem with Consumer
Reports was that on auto burglar alarms and lots ofher technical things,
they would give high ratings to things that weren't sold where I lived.
(This is before the web. I don't know if that would change how I feel)

tlvp

Nov 12, 2016, 11:29:17 PM11/12/16
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:34:11 +0000, David Taylor wrote:

> Several separate trips.

Oops! Foot in my mouth! (Pffphluck -- there, got it out again.) Sorry I
failed to realize ... .

> ... Would go back to any of the destinations any time!

That I can readily believe :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

David Taylor

Nov 13, 2016, 4:57:37 AM11/13/16
On 13/11/2016 04:29, tlvp wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:34:11 +0000, David Taylor wrote:
>
>> Several separate trips.
>
> Oops! Foot in my mouth! (Pffphluck -- there, got it out again.) Sorry I
> failed to realize ... .
>
>> ... Would go back to any of the destinations any time!
>
> That I can readily believe :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

MS Fram works in the North in the northern summer, Iceland, Greenland,
Svalbard etc. and in south South America and Antarctica in the northern
winter. You can travel on the ship for at least part of the journey as
it transverses the equator between its summer and winter schedules.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 13, 2016, 4:52:07 PM11/13/16
On 2016-11-13 01:41, micky wrote:

>> On Android 6 you can disable an application from ever running. I just
>> did that to Facebook on a tablet. Of course, this does not remove the
>> application from the flash memory, but it saves ram and nuisances.
>
> I've seen that screen. Does it stop the app from updating?

Yes. The first step it does (first tap) is to remove all updates to the
application (if it is an embedded app). When this is done, the button to
"deactivate" (I don't know what it says in English) the app highlights
and you can press it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 13, 2016, 4:52:07 PM11/13/16
On 2016-11-13 01:45, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 12 Nov 2016 22:34:26 +0100, "Carlos
> E.R." <robin_...@invalid.es> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-11-10 20:35, micky wrote:
>>
>>> What gets me is that programs, or more likely I mean webpages, on my
>>> home computer ask if I want to "share" my location. These are not
>>> webpages trying to find me the closest store that sells something. They
>>> are pages that have nothing to do with my location, afaict. I don't
>>> know who they want me to share it with or why, but I'm comfortable
>>> enough the PC to just say no.
>>
>> It is, I think, for the commercials on the page. They get customized for
>> your location. If you say no, they can simply use geolocation on your
>> IP, which you can not refuse. You can use a proxy and fool them.
>
> Oh yeah, that makes sense.
>
> I've seen what, 5 million commercials in my life and I still don't think
> of them.
>
> Actually if they're going to show ads, it's probably better if they are
> for things I could actually buy.

But that is precisely the goal!

Most of those scripts and cookies try to track the sites you visit and
the activities you do, and try thus to guess what commercials you would
like. If you are also logged in (with the same browser) to google and
other sites, this is also detected and more information can be obtained.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Piet

Nov 13, 2016, 5:02:06 PM11/13/16
Carlos E.R. wrote:
> Most of those scripts and cookies try to track the sites you
> visit and the activities you do, and try thus to guess what
> commercials you would like.

Ain't it cute that the outcome of the guess is never "none",
even though it's a highly realistic outcome?

-p

tlvp

Nov 14, 2016, 2:19:15 AM11/14/16
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:57:36 +0000, David Taylor wrote:

> MS Fram works in the North in the northern summer, ...
> and in [the] south ... in the northern
> winter. You can travel ... at least part of the journey as
> it transverses the equator between its summer and winter schedules.

I had no idea. That too could be quite a fascinating trip. Thanks.

Piet

Nov 14, 2016, 2:58:32 AM11/14/16
tlvp wrote:
> micky wrote:
>> Google has a discussion board where several people have
>> complained, but I don't know if anyone from Google reads
>> it. Maybe it's just there for us to blow off steam.
>
> Hawaiians have for years complained about the Google Map
> voice mispronouncing Hawaiian place names (Kihei coming
> out as "kigh-high" instead of "kee-hey", U'unene coming
> out as "un-een" instead of "oo-oo-neh-neh", etc.), to no
> avail. What to do?

You gotta live with it.
American product, American pronunciation, no matter how
ridiculous it sounds in the ears of native speakers. But
it's not a Google-specific problem. The built-in navigation
system of my Japanse-brand car "speaks" Dutch in way that
is both annoying and very amusing. Synthetic voices ain't
all that great. Navigation system makers could learn a lot
from TomTom.

-p

David Taylor

Nov 14, 2016, 5:45:01 AM11/14/16
On 14/11/2016 07:19, tlvp wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 09:57:36 +0000, David Taylor wrote:
>
>> MS Fram works in the North in the northern summer, ...
>> and in [the] south ... in the northern
>> winter. You can travel ... at least part of the journey as
>> it transverses the equator between its summer and winter schedules.
>
> I had no idea. That too could be quite a fascinating trip. Thanks.
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp

I hope you enjoy your trip, and share great photos.

Edmund

Nov 14, 2016, 7:11:39 AM11/14/16
I have my old Huawei also much less pre installed apps but in the mean
time I really hate google with all that undeletable grap and other
rubbish.
After an "update" I cannot even install app to my SD card anymore, great
update google.
So google/samsung not only spies on us with extreme brutality, they take
over control over MY phone for which I payed.
So if I can avoid android, I will.

Edmund

Carlos E.R.

Nov 14, 2016, 8:04:06 AM11/14/16
On 2016-11-14 08:58, Piet wrote:

> You gotta live with it.
> American product, American pronunciation, no matter how
> ridiculous it sounds in the ears of native speakers. But
> it's not a Google-specific problem. The built-in navigation
> system of my Japanse-brand car "speaks" Dutch in way that
> is both annoying and very amusing. Synthetic voices ain't
> all that great. Navigation system makers could learn a lot
> from TomTom.

Huh. I have a TomTom, and its pronunciation of some names is funny - and
Spanish is a language that has strict rules about how to pronounce a
written word.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Piet

Nov 14, 2016, 9:41:58 AM11/14/16
Edmund wrote:
> So google/samsung not only spies on us with extreme brutality,
> they take over control over MY phone for which I payed.

What illusions do you have about Apple or Microsoft?

-p

Piet

Nov 14, 2016, 9:45:07 AM11/14/16
TomTom had voices spoken by human beings and synthesized ones.
If you use the 'natural' ones, well... some people do have an
odd pronunciation...

-p

tlvp

Nov 15, 2016, 12:34:15 AM11/15/16
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 08:58:29 +0100, Piet wrote:

> learn a lot
> from TomTom.

Let me supply the missing smiley for that remark :-) . Only TomTom
pronounces NY State T'way as "enn wye state tea way". I'm grateful no one
else does. Cheers, -- tlvp

Arno Welzel

Nov 15, 2016, 2:19:51 AM11/15/16
Piet schrieb:

> Arno Welzel wrote:
[...]
>> And if you want offline maps, you should give OSMAnd+ a try as well -
>> OpenSource and you can keep old maps as long as you want, even if
>> they are several years old and outdated.
>
> Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
> stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
> for free on a 'download once' basis.

OSMAnd+ allows you to download the whole world, if you like to. The
limit exists only in the free version on Google Play, so people purchase
the unlimited version as donation. But if you use the one on F-Droid,
there are no limits at all:

<https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=OSMand&fdid=net.osmand.plus>

Or build your own based on the source:

<https://f-droid.org/repo/net.osmand.plus_252_src.tar.gz>

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 2:35:29 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 08:19 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:
> Piet schrieb:
>
>> Arno Welzel wrote:
> [...]
>>> And if you want offline maps, you should give OSMAnd+ a try as well -
>>> OpenSource and you can keep old maps as long as you want, even if
>>> they are several years old and outdated.
>>
>> Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
>> stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
>> for free on a 'download once' basis.
>
> OSMAnd+ allows you to download the whole world, if you like to. The
> limit exists only in the free version on Google Play, so people purchase
> the unlimited version as donation.

This is not exactly true.

OSMAnd free version allows the limited count of map downloads
*within the application*, as convenience restriction.

External downloads and unzipping the map to the map folder
from http://download.osmand.net/rawindexes/
is not limited.

The only difference is the storage data
are not always as new as data OSMAnd+ downloads.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

Arno Welzel

Nov 15, 2016, 3:43:41 AM11/15/16
Poutnik schrieb:

> On 11/15/2016 08:19 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:
>> Piet schrieb:
>>
>>> Arno Welzel wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Sure enough. But zillions of people like or prefer "for free"
>>> stuff, and OSMAND+ offers only a very limited number of maps
>>> for free on a 'download once' basis.
>>
>> OSMAnd+ allows you to download the whole world, if you like to. The
>> limit exists only in the free version on Google Play, so people purchase
>> the unlimited version as donation.
>
> This is not exactly true.

It is.

> OSMAnd free version allows the limited count of map downloads
> *within the application*, as convenience restriction.

As i told you - the version on F-Droid does not have this limit.

Edmund

Nov 15, 2016, 3:45:01 AM11/15/16
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:03:06 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> On 11/10/2016 07:50 PM, Edmund wrote:
>>
>> I have about three apps and my GPS is asking me every time I use it if
>> I want to share my location even though I selected NO about 10.000
>> times now.
>
> Hm, it is quite funny.

You think?

> As I use several GPS aware applications as well,
> and none of them asks me about sharing the location.

Apart from why you using several, those apps don't always ask permission
they often just take permission, eg after an -automatic- update they can
change permissions at will, there will that is, not yours.
BTW is are your GPS apps on-line apps?
If so they don't have to ask you anything because they already know where
you are.

> If I want to share, I explicitly do so,
> or I set it to do so automatically on purpose.
>
> E.g. OSMAnd and LocusMap can guide you toward dynamic destination,
> what can sometimes be useful,
> if 2 groups are going to meet each other in city,
> or in challenging terrain.

Maybe but I don't know what a dynamic destination is.
Is that a moving destination? If so how doest that work?

Edmund

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 3:52:23 AM11/15/16
I was not speaking about this limit before,
so you could not tell it to me.

BTW, I do not deny there are versions without this limit.
I was speaking about official OSMAnd free version.

Arno Welzel

Nov 15, 2016, 4:02:39 AM11/15/16
Poutnik schrieb:

> BTW, I do not deny there are versions without this limit.
> I was speaking about official OSMAnd free version.

The version on F-Droid *is* the official free version.

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 4:08:22 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 09:44 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:03:06 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2016 07:50 PM, Edmund wrote:
>>>
>>> I have about three apps and my GPS is asking me every time I use it if
>>> I want to share my location even though I selected NO about 10.000
>>> times now.
>>
>> Hm, it is quite funny.
>
> You think?

Sure, but you should be aware
that being funny is an attribute of the object-subject relation,
not an attribute of the object.

>> As I use several GPS aware applications as well,
>> and none of them asks me about sharing the location.
>
> Apart from why you using several, those apps don't always ask permission
> they often just take permission, eg after an -automatic- update they can
> change permissions at will, there will that is, not yours.

Updates always ask me for additional permissions.
But I do not use automatic updates.

GPS application is not the same as the GPS navigation.
The latter is a sublass of the former. And even for the latter,
different GPS navigations have different profiling.
Like MapsFactor navigator / OSMAnd / LocusMap.
1/ focused on car navigation
2/ universal
3/ focused on outdoor usage.

You may have confused my, speaking previously about sharing location
and not about allowing permission to do so.

> BTW is are your GPS apps on-line apps?
> If so they don't have to ask you anything because they already know where
> you are.

To use GPS aware application that does not know where you are
is rather contradictory. Unless you perform specific offline operations
that do not need to know you position.

Some of them can be optionally online,
and there is systeme wide online switch.

> Maybe but I don't know what a dynamic destination is.
> Is that a moving destination? If so how doest that work?

Yes, a moving destination. It is supported by OSMAnd and LocusMap,
perhaps by other, with need of server supported sharing the position
on interested parties. It is very useful if a group of friend is
separated, accidentally or for a purpose.

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 4:14:27 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 10:02 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:
> Poutnik schrieb:
>
>> BTW, I do not deny there are versions without this limit.
>> I was speaking about official OSMAnd free version.
>
> The version on F-Droid *is* the official free version.

I do not say it is not.

But official "OSMAnd free" ( or whatever the exact name it has ) version
from Google play is not identical to the one on F-Droid.
The former has a limit, the latter does not.

At least, it was like that in past, as I use OSMAnd+ for some time.

I use often external download way even if I do not have to.

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 4:39:38 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 10:14 AM, Poutnik wrote:
> On 11/15/2016 10:02 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:
>> Poutnik schrieb:
>>
>>> BTW, I do not deny there are versions without this limit.
>>> I was speaking about official OSMAnd free version.
>>
>> The version on F-Droid *is* the official free version.
>>

> I do not say it is not.
>
> But official "OSMAnd free" ( or whatever the exact name it has ) version
> from Google play is not identical to the one on F-Droid.

P.S.: AFAIK, but I may be wrong,
F-Droid version is not the version released by OSMAnd team,
but recompiled by an other party within the terms
of the OSMAnd open source licence.

Or, I do not understand the OSMAnd licence politics,
if they create 2 free versions, 1 like the paid one.

Bob

Nov 15, 2016, 5:07:46 AM11/15/16
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:35:29 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> External downloads and unzipping the map to the map folder from
> http://download.osmand.net/rawindexes/
> is not limited.
>
> The only difference is the storage data are not always as new as data
> OSMAnd+ downloads.

Thank you for the pointer to the ability to download as above. I was not
aware of this and it is useful in that it gives the date of the
information (map or whatever).

Presumably you unzip on the PC and then copy the unzipped to the phone
itself?

Bob

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 5:36:51 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 11:07 AM, Bob wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:35:29 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>

>> External downloads and unzipping the map to the map folder from
>> http://download.osmand.net/rawindexes/
>> is not limited.
>>
>> The only difference is the storage data are not always as new as data
>> OSMAnd+ downloads.
>
> Thank you for the pointer to the ability to download as above. I was not
> aware of this and it is useful in that it gives the date of the
> information (map or whatever).

You are welcome.

> Presumably you unzip on the PC and then copy the unzipped to the phone
> itself?

Yes, I use a Windows batch that
downloads the zipped maps of the interest
and unzip them to the PC shared folder.

Then I use Android SyncMe utility to copy them via Wifi LAN
behind my Wifi router to the OSMand map folder.

I use it often even for OSMAnd+ for downloads of several maps at once.

Bob

Nov 15, 2016, 7:09:07 AM11/15/16
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 11:36:50 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> On 11/15/2016 11:07 AM, Bob wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:35:29 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>>

>>> External downloads and unzipping the map to the map folder from
>>> http://download.osmand.net/rawindexes/
>>> is not limited.
>>>

>> Presumably you unzip on the PC and then copy the unzipped to the phone
>> itself?
>>
> Yes, I use a Windows batch that downloads the zipped maps of the
> interest and unzip them to the PC shared folder.
>
> Then I use Android SyncMe utility to copy them via Wifi LAN behind my
> Wifi router to the OSMand map folder.
>
> I use it often even for OSMAnd+ for downloads of several maps at once.

Very useful - thank you. I shall have a play and see what I can do. I
usually just hardwire phone to pc and copy big files across that way.
Smaller ones I bluetooth from one to the other.My pc is now very elderly
(c12yrs old or even more but it runs Lubuntu well and I found a cheap
dongle for bluetooth that works well so I'm quite happy :-) )

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 7:25:01 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 01:09 PM, Bob wrote:

> Very useful - thank you. I shall have a play and see what I can do. I
> usually just hardwire phone to pc and copy big files across that way.
> Smaller ones I bluetooth from one to the other.My pc is now very elderly
> (c12yrs old or even more but it runs Lubuntu well and I found a cheap
> dongle for bluetooth that works well so I'm quite happy :-) )

Be aware that the real final zip URLs are tricky
due address redirection,
in case you want to create shell scripts,
so it may not be directly addressable by the web downloaders.

Edmund

Nov 15, 2016, 8:40:43 AM11/15/16
I said "THEY" know.

> Some of them can be optionally online,
> and there is systeme wide online switch.
>

>> Maybe but I don't know what a dynamic destination is.
>> Is that a moving destination? If so how doest that work?
>>

> Yes, a moving destination. It is supported by OSMAnd and LocusMap,
> perhaps by other, with need of server supported sharing the position on
> interested parties. It is very useful if a group of friend is separated,
> accidentally or for a purpose.

OK Thanks for the info.

Edmund

Edmund

Nov 15, 2016, 8:45:27 AM11/15/16
Not much I am aware of MS phone home policy but things simply cannot be
worse then google.
Hopefully in Windows I can delete apps I don't want and apple? I don't
know, if google gets away with this brutal spying, no doubt others will
follow.

Edmund

Bob

Nov 15, 2016, 8:48:15 AM11/15/16
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:25:00 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> On 11/15/2016 01:09 PM, Bob wrote:
>

>> Very useful - thank you. I shall have a play and see what I can do. I
>> usually just hardwire phone to pc and copy big files across that way.
>> Smaller ones I bluetooth from one to the other.My pc is now very
>> elderly (c12yrs old or even more but it runs Lubuntu well and I found a
>> cheap dongle for bluetooth that works well so I'm quite happy :-) )
>>

> Be aware that the real final zip URLs are tricky due address
> redirection,
> in case you want to create shell scripts,
> so it may not be directly addressable by the web downloaders.

Noted - thank you. I'll probably just do a manual download a bit at a
time as I see fit.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 15, 2016, 9:08:06 AM11/15/16
On 2016-11-14 13:11, Edmund wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 22:53:00 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I have my old Huawei also much less pre installed apps but in the mean
> time I really hate google with all that undeletable grap and other
> rubbish.
> After an "update" I cannot even install app to my SD card anymore, great
> update google.

Well, with Android 6 at least, the external card can be joined to the
internal and store anything. Apparently also applications. I have not tried.

> So google/samsung not only spies on us with extreme brutality, they take
> over control over MY phone for which I payed.
> So if I can avoid android, I will.

Android wants you to have phones with a very large internal memory and
no external cards. Place the blame where it is due: on the hardware
manufacturer that did not install enough internal memory, because it is
expensive.

On the other hand, it is not Google who installs undeletable apps. It is
again, the phone manufacturer, because other makers do not install them.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 9:08:14 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 02:40 PM, Edmund wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 10:08:22 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>

>>> BTW is are your GPS apps on-line apps?
>>> If so they don't have to ask you anything because they already know
>>> where you are.
>>
>> To use GPS aware application that does not know where you are is rather
>> contradictory.
>
> I said "THEY" know.

I have not said the app is online for them to know.
OSMAnd / LocusMap / MapsFactor navigator can work fully offline,
so do many not navigationg GPS applications.

Why do you use applications
when you do not trust their authors so you are afraid being online ?

You may want to avoid all mobile phones as all can be tracked.

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 9:09:55 AM11/15/16
On 11/15/2016 02:44 PM, Edmund wrote:

> Not much I am aware of MS phone home policy but things simply cannot be
> worse then google.

There is saying
There is never as bad time not to be able getting worse. :-)

Carlos E.R.

Nov 15, 2016, 9:12:07 AM11/15/16
No, I mean things like replacing a wovel with another. If you know
Spanish, it pronounces "murcia" as "murcie", for example; and the "c"
almost as "s", which is incorrect in most of Spain.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Piet

Nov 15, 2016, 10:11:23 AM11/15/16
Carlos E.R. wrote:
> Piet wrote:
>> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> Huh. I have a TomTom, and its pronunciation of some names
>>> is funny - and Spanish is a language that has strict rules
>>> about how to pronounce a written word.
>>
>> TomTom had voices spoken by human beings and synthesized ones.
>> If you use the 'natural' ones, well... some people do have an
>> odd pronunciation...
>
> No, I mean things like replacing a wovel with another.

If I had a device using wovels, I'd scrap it. :-)

> If you know Spanish, it pronounces "murcia" as "murcie",
> for example; and the "c" almost as "s", which is incorrect
> in most of Spain.

You mean the TomTom "Spanish" voice pronounces it that way?
Had to believe it's a native speaker then; I guess it must
be an English speaker. What happens looks exactly like what
you see in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murcia as pronunciation.
And yeah, the proper pronunciation of the 'c' here is pretty
hard for not-native speakers.

-p

Edmund

Nov 15, 2016, 10:22:59 AM11/15/16
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:09:54 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> On 11/15/2016 02:44 PM, Edmund wrote:
>
>> Not much I am aware of MS phone home policy but things simply cannot be
>> worse then google.
>
> There is saying There is never as bad time not to be able getting worse.
> :-)

There is also an widespread attitude that people tent to choose for known
liers and criminals with the foolish argument that they now know what
they have.
no matter what an incredible bunch of scum that might be, they still
choose that above someone else.
I don't!

Edmund

Edmund

Nov 15, 2016, 10:35:28 AM11/15/16
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:08:13 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

>>> To use GPS aware application that does not know where you are is
>>> rather contradictory.
>>
>> I said "THEY" know.
>
> I have not said the app is online for them to know.
> OSMAnd / LocusMap / MapsFactor navigator can work fully offline,
> so do many not navigationg GPS applications.
>
> Why do you use applications

You can answer that yourself, because those apps are very handy.

> when you do not trust their authors so you
> are afraid being online ?

I am amazed that people like yourself are so ignorant about there
privacy, but it your choice.
BTW being on-line is very expensive here, especially over the border.

> You may want to avoid all mobile phones as all can be tracked.

And that must be some kind of weird reason to give up the little privacy
that is still left?

Edmund

Rod Speed

Nov 15, 2016, 2:49:00 PM11/15/16

"Piet" <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote in message
> Edmund wrote:
>> So google/samsung not only spies on us with extreme brutality,
>> they take over control over MY phone for which I payed.
>
> What illusions do you have about Apple or Microsoft?

There is no illusion with apple, they encrypt stuff
so that even they can't snoop on what I am doing.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 15, 2016, 4:48:06 PM11/15/16
On 2016-11-15 16:11, Piet wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> Piet wrote:
>>>
>>> TomTom had voices spoken by human beings and synthesized ones.
>>> If you use the 'natural' ones, well... some people do have an
>>> odd pronunciation...
>>
>> No, I mean things like replacing a wovel with another.
>
> If I had a device using wovels, I'd scrap it. :-)

Oops.
vowels.

>> If you know Spanish, it pronounces "murcia" as "murcie",
>> for example; and the "c" almost as "s", which is incorrect
>> in most of Spain.
>
> You mean the TomTom "Spanish" voice pronounces it that way?
> Had to believe it's a native speaker then; I guess it must
> be an English speaker. What happens looks exactly like what
> you see in en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murcia as pronunciation.
> And yeah, the proper pronunciation of the 'c' here is pretty
> hard for not-native speakers.
>
> -p

City names use the generated voice, I think, not the recorded voice,
because there are too many names. The default voices are pretty good,
but there are errors.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Poutnik

Nov 15, 2016, 4:54:45 PM11/15/16
Dne 15/11/2016 v 16:34 Edmund napsal(a):
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:08:13 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> You can answer that yourself, because those apps are very handy.

If they are handy, than do not complain,
otherwise use other ones.

> I am amazed that people like yourself are so ignorant about there
> privacy, but it your choice.
> BTW being on-line is very expensive here, especially over the border.

You have no idea how I treat my privacy .

Chris

Nov 16, 2016, 3:33:29 AM11/16/16
Yeah try Scottish place names. They're bad enough to try and pronounce as a
non-scot human.

Edmund

Nov 16, 2016, 4:03:41 AM11/16/16
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 22:54:44 +0100, Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 15/11/2016 v 16:34 Edmund napsal(a):
>> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:08:13 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>

>> You can answer that yourself, because those apps are very handy.
>
> If they are handy, than do not complain,
> otherwise use other ones.

There are no other ones in google grap.

>> I am amazed that people like yourself are so ignorant about there
>> privacy, but it your choice.
>> BTW being on-line is very expensive here, especially over the border.
>
> You have no idea how I treat my privacy .

True but I do know that you obviously -like many people- don't care about all
the data that companies collect use store and sell about you, something I find
pretty amazing.

Edmund

Poutnik

Nov 16, 2016, 4:49:19 AM11/16/16
On 11/16/2016 10:03 AM, Edmund wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 22:54:44 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>
>> Dne 15/11/2016 v 16:34 Edmund napsal(a):
>>> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:08:13 +0100, Poutnik wrote:
>>

>>> You can answer that yourself, because those apps are very handy.
>>
>> If they are handy, than do not complain,
>> otherwise use other ones.
>
> There are no other ones in google grap.

Is every bird a sparrow ?

There is enough GPS applications able to work completely offline,
what I use a lot when if I am abroad without a data plan,
as my phone is offline but the phone part.

>> You have no idea how I treat my privacy .
>
> True but I do know that you obviously -like many people- don't care about all
> the data that companies collect use store and sell about you, something I find
> pretty amazing.

No, you just pretend yourself you know what I care about.

This debate leads to nowhere, I will not follow.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,